Starting Out as an App Translator
The Applingua Knowledge Base tries to cover as many topics as possible regarding app translation. This page will help you navigate some of the other posts if you are starting out as an app translator and translating an app for the first time.
You must always consider at least the following when getting app text to translate:
- Context: what kind of app is it?
- Formality: formal or informal? Should apps be treated differently from other texts
- Text encoding: you must preserve the same text encoding as the developer sent you. Don’t open files in Microsoft Word if the file isn’t a Word document.
- Size constraints: remember you’re working on a very limited device. Apps have space restrictions. Try not to grow more than 20% of the English sentence.
- Terminology: it is rare app text is verbose. Make things short and to the point.
Some useful KB guides:
We’d really appreciate it if you could rate this post to let us know how useful you found it! :) Thanks!